Monday, June 2, 2014

Meaghan Graver - San Diego Zoo Institute for Conservation Research - Conservation Education

Meaghan Graver - San Diego Zoo Institute for Conservation Research
Class: 2016
Hometown: Enon, Oh
Internship: Conservation Education Intern
Location: Escondido, CA

Blog #1!

Hi!

So it has been an incredibly crazy couple of weeks, but here I am, writing from sunny Escondido, California, after my first official day as an intern with the San Diego Zoo Institute for Conservation Research – Conservation Education Department!
I first off just want to say a big thanks to Dr. Mathias Tobler, Samia and Diego for letting me, and fellow intern Macie, stay in their cute little house. Although their cute little cat Michi likes to make sure I do not even think about sleeping in, the house the house and everything about Escondido is pretty perfect.
Macie and I arrived here a week early and like typical girls have made sure to hit up the beach, twice, sample many different froyo options, and find all of the closest shopping centres. We have also had the chance to just explore the hidden wonder that is Escondido; from the weekly farmer’s market to Daley Ranch, the local hiking hot spot (It was a new form of hiking for me all sand and sun, no trees) to the fruit stand on the side of the road, we've left no corner untouched. And now sun-burnt and tired, we official start our internship.
On Friday May 30 2014, Macie and I went in to the Beckman Center for Conservation Research to meet the Conservation Education team, and get a tour of the facility including a brief trip into the Safari Park. We passed the Frozen Zoo – It is so cool looking! After that, we headed over to HR to get our official IDs.
And finally it arrived, June 2, 2014 the first day of our internship. Macie and I spent the day in our office, which is pretty snazzy if I do say so myself, diving into the core of what the Conservation Education department does – learning about how to change people’s behavior. This week will be spent really researching and getting to know what conservation really is before we move onto our individual projects. I’m pretty excited.
Well that’s enough for now, I’ll let you know how the rest of this week played out especially since we have a jam-packed next couple of days.  Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment