Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Dallas Zoo Internship



Delaney Lyons
2020
Powell, Ohio
Records/ Nutrition Intern
The Dallas Zoo

Hey ya’ll!  My name is Delaney Lyons and I’m currently in Dallas, Texas interning at the Dallas Zoo for 10 weeks.   It has been a month since I first started and I’ve already been able to have so many experiences, networking opportunities, and moments of self-reflection. 

For the first 5 weeks of my internship I worked with Sue Greer, the zoo’s registrar.   As a registrar's intern, I had the responsibility of keeping track of the husbandry, medical, and historical records of the zoo. I also found as a registrar for the zoo, I had to act like a detective.  I put clues together in order to get the entire picture. While shadowing the registrar, my project was to enter historical necropsies from the Dallas Zoo into Zoological Information Management System (ZIMS), allowing veterinarians and staff to use this data to make educated decisions. In addition to this project, I was fortunate enough to work closely with the hospital’s veterinarians, veterinarian technicians, and hospital keepers. So many individuals made my experience in the hospital memorable.  While interning I sat in on surgeries, observed post-mortem dissections, and assisted the hospital keepers. This internship has made me realize that I want to work in an animal hospital in the future!




While interning on June 25th, the Dallas Zoo a baby gorilla was born!  This gorilla was the first baby gorilla born here in 20 years. Being part of this experience was truly remarkable.  What is cuter than a baby gorilla?






No comments:

Post a Comment